Joan Houston BSSc, FCA, FABRP, MIOD is an experienced business advisor with clients large and small who have benefited from her support and expertise. She has held an insolvency license since its inception in Northern Ireland and for a number of years has been Chairman of the Insolvency Licensing Committee and on the Professional Standards Committee of Chartered Accountants Regulatory Board in Ireland. She represents this body at the Joint Insolvency Council UK. Joan is also on the UK council of R3 the Association of Business Recovery Professionals and sits on their General Technical Committee. Joan has spoken at conferences across the UK and in Europe for R3 and various employers on insolvency and related issues. Notably Joan was the first female Chartered Accountant in Ireland to hold an insolvency license.
Areas of Expertise
• Formal Appointments in Insolvency dealing with both single issue and significant complexities, trading and non-trading, and often in cross border group situations.
• Corporate rescue and recovery dealing with complex restructuring and turnaround activities.
. Corporate governance, growth and development strategies.
.Non-Executive director on various boards and providing independent advice and support to nurture and develop organisations to achieve their full potential.
Relevant consultancy assignments:
• Corporate strategy
• Due diligence reporting for PLCs and large corporates
• Business plan preparation and appraisal
• Litigation support expert witness reporting
• Sale of business prospective
• Monitoring of monthly company performance
• Financial appraisals and Economic appraisals in line with Green Book and Business Case for Government support
Relevant Restructuring work included the following:
• Company Voluntary Arrangements
• Group restructuring and de-risking
• Administrative Receiverships
• Company Voluntary Liquidations
• Members Voluntary Liquidations
• Independent Business reviews for banks
• Insolvency Advice for Corporate clients
• Business restructuring for bank indebtedness
• Advisory roles for clients in financial difficulties
• Multi jurisdictional assignments with cross border issues
Our work in Houston Hunter is usually referred to us from accountants, solicitors and bankers, however in more recent times we are finding those in business are coming directly to us to provide practical solutions to financial difficulties.